Greenwood Historic Cemetery
In July of 2013, Elmwood Cemetery and the City of Birmingham, Michigan entered into a management agreement for Elmwood to manage Greenwood Cemetery. Elmwood Cemetery’s staff manages the interments, grounds and records of Greenwood Cemetery.
Greenwood’s eight-acres are home to some of Oakland County’s earliest pioneers and most prominent citizens. The oldest section dates to its purchase in 1821 and first burial in 1825. It was incorporated as the Greenwood Cemetery Association in 1885 and has been operated by the City of Birmingham since 1946. It is located on Oak Avenue between Greenwood and Lake Streets, west of Old Woodward Avenue. The grounds display monuments in bronze, limestone, marble, cast zinc and granite, including Marshall Frederick’s Leaping Gazelle that marks his lot. Some of Birmingham’s most prominent are buried here: Baldwin Family, Booth Family, Mayor Harry Allen, Revolutionary War veteran John Daniels, Dr. Ziba Swan, State Senator Ebenezer Raynale, Eccentric publishers Almeron Whitehead and George Mitchell, Pewabic Pottery founder Mary Chase Perry Stratton, Elijah Willets, and John West Hunter, among many others.
Click here to link to Greenwood Cemetery’s website, www.greenwoodhistoriccemetery.org.